Sunday, August 23, 2009

Finished Simplicity 4010

I finished Simplicity 4010.
100_0192
I put up a review of it at Pattern Review and updated the page at the Vintage Patterns wiki.
In the Little House books, one of Mary's dresses is described as "fitting like paint." In a dress of the 1880s, I'm sure that that was the goal and the end product was lovely. When I sewed this up and put it on, though, I discovered that it does not translate so well to the shirtdress look. I'd never seen my floating ribs so clearly.
I let the side seams out to 1/4" each, and that helped distinctly. I'd also forgotten that 'teen' sizing of the 1950s and 1960s has a shorter bodice, which, although I am vertically challenged, is no help because I carry my short in my legs.
These gripes aside, I really like the dress. I sewed the buttons on with the holes in an arrow pointing up to my face or to my hands, not the usual x or box. I'm planning on making a belt once I can find a good buckle.
I think that the 3/4 sleeve, full skirted shirtdress is a good look for me. It's comfortable, I can move, it's fast to put on when I'm running late, and it looks nicely put together.
(Mom: SWAP is Sewing With A Plan. You make interchangeable things that can be worn together.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks very nice.

Mom